The search and selection of the mechanical engineer
The role of the mechanical engineer
The search and selection of a mechanical engineer is an articulated process, which requires first of all the analysis and definition of the type of profile sought.
The mechanical engineer deals with the research, design and development of articles, machinery or plants in different industrial sectors. The mechanical engineer can also take care of the installation, evaluation, maintenance and operation of mechanical systems.
Usually he or she works in manufacturing, production or transport industries or in companies involved in energy production or consulting.
Mechanical engineering is described as the study of three important components: energy, motion and strength. The mechanical engineer has at his or her disposal a series of human, material and economic resources that allow him or her to develop mechanical solutions that, with the control of these elements, lead him or her to satisfy the company’s desires and needs.
Main responsibilities of a mechanical engineer
Let’s see now what are the most common tasks this professional figure deals with. This is not a complete list, but a series of functions that he or she could perform within a specific work context and that should be precisely defined before proceeding with the search and selection of such a profile.
He or she examines the designs of mechanisms, systems and components and ensures that they are feasible, designable and subsequently performed.
He or she designs and manufactures machinery to produce energy (internal combustion engines, electric generators and gas and steam turbines, etc.); electrical machinery (air conditioning systems, refrigerators, etc.); various types of machinery (escalators, elevators, household appliances, automated transfer stations and transport systems, etc.); tools, components (of various kinds); etc.
He or she analyzes the dynamics of the structures through special design software, CAD, which are used both to realize the projects and to make simulations, and are also used to test the operation of the machinery and the relative fine-tuning of the various components.
He or she prepares drafts, layouts, calculations and all the various specifications in detail trying to comply with engineering practices and industry standards, then he or she deals with the development and testing of prototypes of the devices he or she designed. In this way, it will be easier for him or her to analyze any mechanical irregularities or unexpected maintenance difficulties, make the necessary changes to the design and establish the size, shape and material for the various parts of the device or mechanical machinery.
He or she plans and manages projects: at this stage he or she prepares contracts and evaluates the costs for maintenance and industrial construction, also taking care of the preparation of materials, deadlines, costs, plans, design requirements, specifications and technical notes, manuals and customer proposals.
He or she is in charge of carrying out the inspections and then drawing up the reports attesting to the condition of the constructions, both existing and new. He or she is responsible for designing and building the machinery necessary for the realization of the project, he or she also supervises and inspects the installation, makes, if necessary, the appropriate modifications and takes care of the implementation of the mechanical systems in use in mechanical systems or construction sites.
Skills required in the search and selection of the mechanical engineer
In the research and selection of mechanical engineers it is essential to identify profiles with specific technical skills, but also with human and professional skills that make this profile highly sought after in the labour market.
Below is a list, also in this case not necessarily complete, of skills generally appreciated by companies seeking mechanical engineers.
- Wonderful creativity both in the design and construction of simple or complex components.
- Excellent interpersonal, managerial and communicative skills: the mechanical engineer must be able to create the most serene working environment possible and communicate clearly and precisely with both his or her colleagues and the end customer. For this reason it is essential that he or she is able to read and write technical reports correctly. Working calmly within a multidisciplinary team completes the picture of the perfect mechanical engineer.
- Mechanical and mathematical skills: he or she must therefore be familiar with all the principles of calculation, trigonometry and advanced mathematics that he or she will use to analyse, design and solve problems. In addition, he or she must be able to apply mechanical processes and basic engineering concepts for the design of new devices.
- Analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills: it needs to be able to understand the problem and to implement the best way to solve it in a timely and consistent manner. Another important factor in the choice of a mechanical engineer is his or her precision, which almost touches the maniacal for everything related to analysis and calculations.
- Knowing how to organize and manage time in the best possible way and having an excellent attention to detail: to do this, the mechanical engineer must absolutely avoid disorganization, first of all with regard to his or her person, and do everything possible to transmit this quality to his or her entire team in order to avoid legal problems, accidents and damage to equipment. Equally, he or she must be able to withstand the hectic pace of work, individually and also as far as his or her team is concerned.
- Being able to manage more than one project at the same time, even with short deadlines, and being able to establish priorities and responsibilities in the correct way complete the profile.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree is of course required. Candidates with a doctorate or master’s degree will certainly have an advantage over others.
- The first thing that is asked when you are involved in the research and selection of a mechanical engineer is to have maximum competence in the use of MS Office or similar suites, CAD, etc..
- A mechanical engineer must demonstrate an understanding of the quality standards for the analysis of mechanical systems and know how to make excellent use of calculation software and various coding and design methods.